As the seasons change and unpredictable weather patterns become the norm, it’s clear that every dapper man needs to understand the importance of a good, waterproof jacket.
Today, I’m breaking out the essential steps and techniques of waterproofing a jacket, ensuring you’re always looking sharp and staying dry.
Understanding the Importance of Waterproofing a Jacket
Why is waterproofing a jacket so vital? Apart from the clear advantage of keeping you dry in a downpour, a waterproofed jacket helps maintain the fabric’s integrity, thereby extending its life. It’s not just about comfort; it’s about saving money in the long run, protecting your investment, and ensuring the longevity of your wardrobe essentials.
Waterproof vs. Water-resistant: Know the Difference
Many men often confuse “water-resistant” with “waterproof”.
To clarify, a water-resistant jacket provides protection from light rain or moisture for a brief period. In contrast, a waterproof jacket is designed to keep you dry even under prolonged exposure to heavy rain.
When we talk about waterproofing a jacket, the gold standard is complete protection from water.
The Science of Waterproofing
Waterproofing isn’t some mystical process. It’s based on the science of ensuring water droplets cannot penetrate the fabric.
Modern waterproofing methods and products are designed to coat the fabric’s fibers, creating barriers that repel water while still allowing the material to breathe.
This ensures that while rain can’t get in, sweat can still evaporate out, keeping you comfortable.
The Right Tools for the Job
Selecting the right waterproofing product is paramount. Here are some popular options:
- Sprays & Protectants: Many brands offer waterproofing sprays, and while their efficacy varies, the best ones offer an easy application process and form a robust protective layer against water.
- Waxes & Pastes: Perfect for heavier, rugged jackets like waxed cotton or canvas. These products not only waterproof but can also refresh the jacket’s appearance.
- Wash-in Products: These are added during a washing cycle. Particularly beneficial for performance gear, they imbue the fabric with waterproofing properties.
The Step-by-step Guide to Waterproofing a Jacket
As with any men’s style process, it’s vital that you know what you’re doing before you attempt to waterproof any garment in your closet.
Get it wrong, and you could easily ruin your jacket beyond repair.
Don’t worry gents – as ever, I’ve got you covered. Check out my simple list of steps below:
- Clean Your Jacket: Always start with a clean slate. Dirt, grease, or oils can inhibit the effectiveness of waterproofing products. Adhere to the jacket’s care instructions for optimal results.
- Choose a Well-ventilated Area: Many waterproofing agents produce potent fumes. Always work in open spaces or well-aerated areas to avoid inhaling these fumes.
- Test a Small Area: Before committing, test the product on a discreet section to ensure there’s no unwanted discoloration or adverse reactions.
- Apply Evenly: Whether you’re using a spray, wax, or paste, ensure it’s applied uniformly. This guarantees maximum protection and maintains the jacket’s aesthetics.
- Let it Dry: Patience is key. Depending on the product, drying might take anywhere from a few hours to a whole day. It’s vital to allow the jacket to dry fully for the waterproofing to set in effectively.
- Reapply as Needed: No waterproofing lasts forever. With wear and tear, you’ll need to re-waterproof your jacket occasionally. Monitor its performance and reapply as required.
Caring for Waterproof Fabrics
If you’ve splurged on a jacket with inherent waterproof qualities (e.g., GORE-TEX), special care is needed. These fabrics are adept at repelling water, but oils, dirt, and other contaminants can reduce their effectiveness over time.
Regular cleaning and the occasional reapplication of a waterproofing treatment can rejuvenate their protective properties.
It’s essential to understand that not all jackets are created equal. Different materials come with their unique set of challenges when it comes to waterproofing. For instance:
- Leather: A naturally durable and water-resistant material, leather can benefit from specialized waterproofing treatments. These treatments often serve dual purposes, nourishing the leather while repelling water.
- Nylon and Polyester: Common in performance wear, these synthetics take well to most waterproofing sprays. However, always check the product label to ensure compatibility.
- Wool: Wool has inherent moisture-wicking properties, but it can get heavy and uncomfortable when wet. Waterproofing sprays tailored for wool help in beading off the water, ensuring your wool jacket retains its shape and feel.
- Cotton: Lightweight cotton jackets, especially those not treated or waxed, can soak up rain. A good waterproofing treatment can significantly enhance its water resistance, ensuring you stay dry and stylish.
The journey of waterproofing has seen significant advancements over the decades. From rudimentary wax coatings used in naval and fishing communities to the high-tech solutions of today’s world like nano-coatings, the evolution has been remarkable.
Understanding this history gives you an appreciation of the craftsmanship and science involved in every waterproof garment or treatment.
Expert Tips for Jacket Maintenance Post-Waterproofing
- Regular Inspection: Over time, areas that face more abrasion, like elbows or cuffs, may lose their waterproof effectiveness faster. Regular checks help in spotting these areas, allowing for spot treatments.
- Avoid Direct Heat: After getting caught in the rain, you might be tempted to dry your jacket near a heater or radiator. Resist the urge. Direct heat can damage the fabric and the waterproofing treatment.
- Store Properly: When not in use, store your jacket in a cool, dry place. Avoid crumpling it as this can cause the waterproof treatment to wear out unevenly.
A Word on Style and Waterproofing
Waterproofing isn’t just about functionality; it’s also about preserving style.
Modern products ensure the aesthetic of your jacket remains unchanged. From the sleek lines of a tailored trench coat to the rugged appeal of a field jacket, you can maintain style and function.
A prepared gentleman knows that looking good and being practical are not mutually exclusive.
Wrapping It Up: The Philosophy of Preparedness
Being prepared is a philosophy every gentleman should embrace – especially when it comes to learning how to waterproof a jacket.
Much like carrying a quality pen or having a pocket square at the ready for those unexpected moments, waterproofing your jacket ensures you’re prepared for whatever the weather throws your way.
In the realm of menswear, the details distinguish the average from the exceptional.
Waterproofing a jacket is one of those critical details. By investing a bit of time and effort, you’ll not only protect your clothing but also ensure you’re ready for any situation.
Remember, style isn’t just about looking good – it’s about being prepared. Stay dapper, stay dry, and always keep it classy.
There you have it, gents. With this knowledge at your fingertips, no downpour will catch you off-guard. Until next time, keep elevating your style game, rain or shine.
Waterproofing A Jacket
Why is it important to waterproof a jacket?
Waterproofing a jacket ensures you stay dry in wet conditions, prolongs the life of the fabric by maintaining its integrity, and saves money in the long run by reducing wear and tear.
What's the difference between a water-resistant and a waterproof jacket?
A water-resistant jacket offers protection from light rain or moisture for a short duration. In contrast, a waterproof jacket provides complete protection, even under extended exposure to heavy rain.
Do all jackets need waterproofing?
Not all jackets need waterproofing. However, for outdoor or all-weather jackets, especially those made of absorbent materials like cotton, it’s beneficial to have a waterproofing layer.
What types of products can be used for waterproofing?
There are various products available, including sprays & protectants, waxes & pastes, and wash-in products, each suitable for different types of jacket materials.
How often should I waterproof my jacket?
The frequency depends on usage. If you’re exposed to rain regularly, it’s advisable to check your jacket’s waterproofing every season. Areas of wear, like elbows or cuffs, might need more frequent attention.
Is waterproofing safe for all jacket materials?
Most jackets can be safely waterproofed, but it’s essential to choose the right product for the material. Always test on a small, discreet area first to ensure no adverse reactions.
Will waterproofing affect the breathability of my jacket?
Modern waterproofing products are designed to allow materials to breathe. They repel external water while still letting internal moisture (like sweat) evaporate.
Can I waterproof my leather jacket?
Yes, leather can be waterproofed using products specifically designed for leather, which often nourish the material while providing a protective barrier against water.
How do I know when my jacket needs re-waterproofing?
If water no longer beads up and rolls off the fabric, or if the material feels wet or heavy during a rain shower, it might be time to re-waterproof.
The post How To Waterproof A Jacket: The Ultimate Guide For Men appeared first on Real Men Real Style.
By: Antonio Centeno
Title: How To Waterproof A Jacket: The Ultimate Guide For Men
Sourced From: www.realmenrealstyle.com/waterproof-a-jacket/
Published Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 10:46:46 +0000
Did you miss our previous article…
10 Things Women Notice First In A Man
Most guys think women only notice men with the looks of Brad Pitt, biceps the size of Texas and more money than Jeff Bezos.
But this isn’t true. If you nail that first impression when you walk in a room women will easily notice you. That’s why in this article I’m going to give you the ten things a woman notices about a man first.
Take note because after you’ve read this article getting to know a woman will be infinitely easier.
#1 Women Notice Your Face
No debates here. If you keep your face in its best form – it means you’re taking great care of yourself.
Do you need a super handsome face? Nope! Not all of us are born with the Hollywood movie star look. If women only wanted that, there’d be a huge surplus of single men on this planet!
What you really need are good grooming habits. You want to show the ladies your well-maintained facial hair (whether it’s short stubble or a full-grown beard).
Or maybe you prefer a clean-shaven look – just make sure there are no post-shave bumps or red marks plaguing your face.
And then there’s the skin itself. Some guys still think they are ‘too manly’ for skincare. They wait for an acne outbreak or pain issue before seeking treatment.
The truth is, it’s every man’s responsibility to find the right lotion, cleanser or anti-aging cream to keep his skin healthy 24/7.
#2 Women Notice Your Smile
The most important part of your face is so valuable it’s worth talking about separately.
A captivating smile is a “welcome” sign that you’re waving from afar in a woman’s direction.
Combine that smile with seductive eye contact and a confident posture? You’re well on your way to impressing a woman.
Your smile can also be a hindrance if the teeth are noticeably dirty. Or worse… discolored! That’s why you need to watch out for:
- Stains from drinking lots of coffee, tea or wine (see your dentist every 3-4 months).
- Stains from smoking (as if there aren’t enough reasons to quit smoking).
- Too much fluoride from certain toothpaste brands or environmental sources (e.g. water) can darken your teeth.
- Teeth as you age – the outer layer of enamel wears out over time and starts revealing the natural yellow color (of the inner layer of dentin). You may want to consider some teeth-whitening products at home when you’re older.
#3 Women Notice Your Silhouette
Here the term silhouette refers to the outline of your body PLUS your clothing. Women are unsurprisingly drawn to a hyper-masculine silhouette:
- A built-up chest.
- Lean torso.
- Strong shoulders.
For those of us without the body of Adonis, what is the easiest way of getting this look? A suit jacket or blazer.
There are many types of suit jackets and it’s important you find the right one for your body shape. The sack-cut suit is very common in America because it is affordable to produce and fits over most men. It is not the fit that will make you look your best though.
A structured jacket adds subtle padding to the wearer’s shoulders, making them appear larger and broader. A fitted jacket tapers towards the middle to give the wearer the appearance of a leaner torso.
Just be careful to avoid a fit that is too tight in the search for a flattering jacket. A jacket should drape gently over your shirt and body. If a jacket creates an X-shaped crease when buttoned you have gone too far.
The same principle applies when matching trousers with your jacket. Avoid skinny trousers and jeans – they create an unattractive ‘matchstick’ silhouette that signals a lack of muscle. Swap them for slim-fit or subtly tapering cuts that create a muscular but lean silhouette.
#4 Women Notice Your Style
We are taught growing up never to judge a book by its cover. The truth is though, women (and men for that matter) make judgments and assumptions based on what you wear.
Don’t underestimate the power of nailing the 3 core components of dressing well – ever.
Also consider what your clothes say about your status, lifestyle and personality. Make an effort to choose clothes that send positive messages like maturity, sophistication and passion.
Women seeking a long-term partner are attracted to men who can be good providers – so knowing how to dress like a grown man helps if you’re looking to settle down.
#5 Women Notice The Details
Sure. You may initially impress with a well-fitted blazer and slacks. But if those are the only elements you work on – you won’t get far.
Any man who understands the laws of men’s style can find good shirts, jackets, and pants
- Hairstyle – consider this list of most attractive men’s hairstyles.
- Eyewear – choose the perfect sunglasses or eyeglasses for your face shape.
- Watches/Jewelry – discover how to match a watch to your outfit when buying one.
- Shoes – learn how to identify quality men’s leather shoes.
#6 Women Notice Your Mannerisms
Picture yourself as a contestant on The Bachelorette. You step out of the limo on Day 1 with all the guys. Your bachelorette is waiting by the mansion door.
You’re all on an even playing field appearance-wise, so what can you do to instantly get noticed?
Nail the greeting. This small act sets the tone for everything else that follows.
- Offer a firm handshake.
- Make solid eye contact.
Communicate to a woman that you are giving her your full attention.
Take just a few seconds to acknowledge her presence. Make her believe you’re invested in courting her.
OK, so chances are you’re not a reality show contestant. It’s the same principle in real life though: greet a woman poorly or have bad manners and you’ve immediately dug yourself a hole.
Showing a disregard for others’ feelings or basic courtesy might seem like a small issue to you. Women quickly pick up on these things though and assume you’re a loose cannon.
What are some examples of bad manners?
- Forget about your phone and other distractions. Keep your cell in your pocket.
- Arrive early. Aiming to arrive exactly on time is a recipe for being late.
- Go easy on cursing and foul language.
- Avoid constantly interrupting. Don’t cut a woman off in the middle of saying something.
- Meeting a woman online? Don’t say anything you wouldn’t say in real life.
#7 Women Notice Your Hands
What good is a handshake if your hands look like you’ve been digging through garbage? Always wash your hands and take care of your nails before an event. Even better, build it into your daily routine.
Otherwise – you can come off as neglectful, unhygienic or even ‘poorly raised’ (making your parents look bad).
Let’s not forget about dry hands with cracked skin! Should you use hand lotion? The natural oil your body produces normally keeps your skin supple. If your hands have a lack of natural oil I strongly suggest you regularly apply a hand lotion or cream. No woman wants her man to have hands covered with calluses.
#8 Women Notice Your Fragrance
You can nail every other category on this list – but none of them will count for anything if a woman doesn’t like how you smell.
Most men settle for using deodorant to keep their smell ‘neutral’… but why not go one step further and smell GREAT?
It’s no mystery. Studies prove that smelling great and wearing cologne makes you more attractive to women.
Get into the habit of routinely wearing a fragrance.
TIP: Learn how to apply cologne to avoid over-spraying and smelling like a biohazard.
#9 Women Notice Your Voice & Language
Yep. Women care about what they’re going to hear from you.
This time you can’t throw money at the problem. Even the most expensive jacket and fragrance won’t make you a smooth talker.
So what do you do?
It’s about self-development. Expand your knowledge and vocabulary. Set yourself apart from guys who always talk like they’re at a football game.
The next step is to read quality books. Click here to discover ten books every man should own. Find books that go deep into enriching topics (not just entertain you) – and help you grow as a person.
You’re aiming to show women you’re relatable, that there is no ‘intellectual barrier’ between the two of you. How enthusiastic you sound and whether you say “No” or “I’ve heard of that” when she mentions a topic – all these factors come into play.
Learn how to speak in an engaging way once you know what you are talking about. It comes easier to some than others but there are techniques you can learn. Use your voice in a way that grabs a woman’s attention and makes them eager to listen.
Who knows? With a little rhythm and use of your diaphragm – you may end up with a deep and booming voice like Neil deGrasse Tyson. That will definitely intrigue a few women!
#10 Women Notice Your Body Language
Actions speak louder than words.
Fun as it might be to talk knowledgeably and engagingly – don’t forget what your non-verbal communication is saying. Like your voice, body language can be more powerful than whatever clothes you are wearing.
Avoid any closed-off, negative or aggressive gestures that can catch a lady off guard. Particularly if a woman is getting to know you, even a subtle finger wag or angled neck can make the wrong first impression. Remind yourself every now and then to keep your arms unfolded.
Over time understand how men can use body language to signal positivity and openness all the time. It will take practice and a conscious effort at first but before you know it you’ll be using positive body language without realizing it.
TIP: Do NOT clench your fists in front of a woman (as if you’re about to punch someone!) You’re probably stronger than her – so why make yourself more intimidating?
BONUS: Women Notice Your Attitude/Personality
Some important points regarding attitude that you ought to take note of:
- Women do perceive some men as ‘douchebags’ unfortunately and it often stems from try-hard macho male behavior. One-upping people, wrecking someone’s home you’ve been invited to and taking your shirt off at every opportunity might have been cool when you were a frat bro. However, grown-up women want a grown-up man. This kind of attitude sends a negative vibe regardless of how nice you are in actual conversation.
- What you find funny tells women a lot about your attitude in general. You may not think about what your sense of humor says about you but there are different advantages to using ‘positive’ humor (using optimism, puns or wittiness) versus ‘negative’ humor (being sarcastic or self-disparaging).
- Be a ‘nice guy’ to start a serious relationship! Some women might want a fling with a bad boy but that’s all it will be. Have good manners and show maturity if you’re searching for your soulmate.
Click below to watch the video – 11 Unusual Traits Women Find Surprisingly Attractive
The post 10 Things Women Notice First In A Man appeared first on Real Men Real Style.
By: Antonio Centeno
Title: 10 Things Women Notice First In A Man
Sourced From: www.realmenrealstyle.com/first-things-women-notice/
Published Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:27:10 +0000
Did you miss our previous article…
Ultimate Seiko Watch Buying Guide
When most men think of buying a reliable, high-quality wristwatch, brands like Rolex and Audemars Piguet stand out. But what also stands out is the price tag of those brands. Ouch. But what about buying a Seiko watch?
Not every man has the budget for luxury, Swiss timepieces. With a Seiko watch, you can get a durable, high-quality timepiece starting around $100.
Seiko has been around for 142 years, and to this day, they are one of the world’s top watch manufacturers. With a wide selection of timepieces ranging from affordable options to high-end luxury offerings, they have cemented themselves for their durable and high-quality timepieces.
But why buy a Seiko watch over any other brand? What does Seiko do differently? Which is the best Seiko watch to purchase in 2023?
In today’s article I’m going to cover:
- Why You Should Buy A Seiko Watch
- A Brief History Of Seiko
- What Makes Seiko Watches Special?
- Top Seiko Watches I Recommend
- When And Where To Buy A Seiko Watch
Why You Should Buy A Seiko Watch
Seiko Watches offer a lot of benefits that other watch manufacturers can’t match. But why should buy one? Here are a few reasons why you should buy a Seiko watch.
When it comes to Japanese watchmakers, there are really only 2 that come to mind for most men – Seiko and Casio.
While Casio is a great company and you can find plenty of classic Casio watches to choose from, they tend to offer more rugged and digital options than Seiko.
The key selling point of the Seiko brand is that regardless of which model you choose, you are always getting a top-notch watch from a company with great heritage.
Seiko has plenty of offerings that start around $100 – sometimes less depending on where you shop. But even on their high-end offerings, you are still getting an incredible value.
Often times, luxury brands like Rolex or Patek Philippe are only available directly from the manufacturer, if you decide to buy new that is. This means you could end up paying a massive mark-up on your watch.
Seiko is available almost everywhere you can buy a watch. With the digital landscape of 2023, you can easily head to a major online retailer and buy almost any Seiko watch you’d like.
Just because Seiko has affordable watch options, does not mean that you’re getting a poorly designed timepiece.
Unlike other watch companies whose claim-to-fame is only producing clones of famous designs – think Invicta’s clone of the Rolex Submariner – Seiko has real heritage and history behind their designs.
Over the years, Seiko has even given some of their watch designs refreshes to keep them modern with the times. This is the attention to detail that separates companies like Seiko from others with their dedication to design and authenticity.
As I previously stated, there is a Seiko watch for everyone.
Anywhere from casual field watches and dive watches, to formal dress watches and everything in between. Do you want a Seiko watch to wear when hiking? They have that. Do you also want a Seiko watch you can wear with a tuxedo? They have that too.
Seiko truly has one of the best selections for beginners to get their feet wet in classically designed timepieces. And the best part is, they only go up from there.
A Brief History Of Seiko
Where It All Began
In 1881, Japanese clockmaker Kintaro Hattori opened a shop that was dedicated to selling and repairing watches and clocks in Ginza, Tokyo.
He excelled at this for the next 11 years, until 1892, when he founded Seikosha, the company that was to become one of the most important manufacturers of timepieces in the world.
It was here that Hattori produced his very first clocks.
Then in 1895, he built the first pocket watch, the Timekeeper. This was an important development for timepieces from Seikosha that heavily paved the way for Japan’s first-ever wristwatch.
How Japan’s First Wrist Watch Came To Be
After creating the first pocket watch in Japan, Hattori would go on to create the first wristwatch made in Japan, named the Laurel in 1913.
At the time, the company was only able to produce a small amount of watches. Then, unfortunately, in 1923, a large earthquake struck the company’s headquarters and the Seikosha factory burned down.
In 1924, after a fresh start and under the new name of Seiko, the first Seiko brand watch went on sale.
For the next 30 years, Seiko would go on to create and innovate in the timepiece space, even, becoming the official supplier of pocket watches to Japan National Railways as the railway industry was expanding in Japan.
How Seiko Became So Prominent
From 1956 onward, Seiko solidified itself in horology by innovating and designing some of the most well-known components in wristwatches we know today.
Seiko went on to create the Diashock in 1956 – a component that Seiko used to absorb shock in their watches to better protect them. Then in 1959, they created their own proprietary “magic lever” system, which is an innovative self-winding system that is still used to this day in Seiko watches.
Hitting a pinnacle in 1960, when the first Grand Seiko model was created, Seiko wanted to create a watch that was more durable and legible than any other watch. It was their flagship and really set off the next 60+ years of innovation to where we know Seiko today.
Here are some more staple moments in Seiko’s history of innovation:
- 1964 – created Japan’s first wristwatch with a stopwatch on it, the Chronograph
- 1965 – produced Japan’s first diver watch to handle deep water pressure
- 1969 – introduced the world’s first quartz watch
- 1973 – introduced the world’s first 6-digit LCD quartz watch
- 1982 – introduced the world’s first TV watch
- 1983 – introduced the world’s first voice recording watch
- 1999 – created the Spring Drive – this gave mechanical watches quartz accuracy
- 2006 – introduced the world’s first E-Ink watch
- 2012 – introduced the world’s first GPS solar watch
What Makes Seiko Watches Special?
While it’s well known the vast majority of watchmakers use different types of the same components, what’s less known is the types of materials that each brand uses.
For example, Seiko creates their watches with commonly used materials mixed with proprietary technology and designs to create timepieces that are durable and high-quality.
What Materials Does Seiko Use In Their Watches?
Much like other manufacturers, Seiko uses a broad range of top materials to create their watches. This is a list of what you’ll find in most offerings of Seiko watches:
- Steel 316L – industry standard, used for watch cases, bezels, and bracelets
- Sapphire crystal – premium option, extremely scratch resistant, less shock resistant
- Mineral crystal (also known as Hardlex) – budget option, relatively scratch-resistant, more shock resistant
- LumiBrite – proprietary lume found in regular Seikos AND premium Grand Seiko watches – 10 minutes of bright sunlight = 3-5 hours of gradually fading light
- Premium Leather – used for straps and bracelets
What Movements Does Seiko Use?
Possibly some of the most interesting aspects about Seiko watches are the internal movements that make each watch tick – pun intended.
Now while I won’t get into too many details about the specifics and terminology of mechanical watches, I will dive into a few different movements from Seiko specifically.
If you’re looking for a deeper dive into mechanical watch research, check out the Ultimate Watch Buying Guide.
Here are 3 of the most common movements that Seiko uses and some features of each:
1. Seiko 7s26 – The Less-Expensive Movement
- Non-hacking, automatic and manual winding not possible
- 41 hour power reserve
- Accuracy somewhere between -20 to +20 seconds a day out of the box, settling down to somewhere in the range of -15 to +15 seconds a day or better
- Found on Seiko 5s and other older models
2. 4r35 – The Mid-Range Movement
- Hacking, manual and automatic winding possible
- 41 hour power reserve
- Date display
- Accuracy of -20 to +20 seconds a day, settling down to -10 to +10 seconds a day or better
- Found on Seiko Cocktail Times and newer lines
3. 6R15 – The Higher-End Movement
- Hacking, automatic and manual winding possible
- 50 hour power reserve
- Date display
- Accuracy of -10 to +10 out of the box, settling down to -5 to +5 seconds a day or better
- Found on Seiko Prospex and old Alpinist models
Top Seiko Watches I Recommend
It’s important to find the Seiko that’s perfect for you. But with such a wide selction to choose from, it’s understandable that you would want somewhere to start.
Without further ado, here are some of the best Seikos I’ve owned and some I wish I owned!
Seiko Ion Prospex SRPB55
- Quality dive watch
- 200m of water resistance which matches other luxury watches (think Tudor)
- Around $400
Seiko 5 SNK793
- Highly affordable dress watch
- Features day-date, sunray dial, and exhibition case back
- Around $100
Seiko 5 SNZF17J1
- A more adventurous Seiko 5 option
- Features a chunky, unidirectional stainless steel bezel and lumed hands
- Around $200
Seiko 5 SRPC61
- Smart-casual Seiko 5 option
- Features 120-click unidirectional bottlecap-shaped bezel
- Around $300
Seiko 5 SNK800
- Classic field watch style
- One of the most versatile Seiko options available for the price point
- Around $100
Men's SNK805 SEIKO 5 Automatic Stainless Steel Watch with Green Canvas
Seiko Presage Cocktail Time SRPB43
- Classic style dress watch that works for both office and cocktail attire
- Features mid-century design with a sunray dial combined with 3D markers
- Around $400
SEIKO SRPB43 Men's PRESAGE Automatic Watch w/Date, Blue
Seiko Alpinist SPB121J1
- One of Seiko’s most popular watches online – design slightly updated in 2021
- Features sapphire crystal, 200m water resistance, and a 70 hour power reserve
- Around $700
Seiko Prospex"Alpinist" Compass Green Dial Sapphire Glass Leather Watch SPB121J1
Seiko Prospex SBDC051
- Premium dive watch that combines old and new design
- Features a rugged stainless steel case with 200m water resistance
- Around $1,000
When And Where To Buy A Seiko Watch
The easiest answer to this question is “when you have the funds”. But the better answer is that it depends. And this goes for any watch, not just a Seiko. Let me explain.
A watch is highly visible on the wrist, making it a deeply personal part of a man’s wardrobe. For this reason, a good time to buy a watch is at a major life event such as graduating college, milestone birthdays, getting married, or a promotion at work.
But whatever the reason, the best time to buy a watch is when you are ready to buy one. Find your perfect watch, not someone else’s.
Certain iterations of Seiko watches may have more value at one time or another if you’re into collecting. Regardless, if you are looking for a good quality watch at a decent price, Seiko is one of the best options on the market.
As far as where to buy a Seiko watch, unlike other luxury brands that require you to go direct to the manufacturer or risk massive mark-ups from dealers, Seiko can be purchased just about anywhere.
Online is probably the most viable way to get one in 2023 but some large department stores, retailers, and dealers, will have plenty of Seiko options for you to choose from. When in doubt, a certified Seiko dealer will be your best bet.
That’s it. I hope this guide helps you to find your next Seiko watch so that you can finally get your hands on a well-designed, classic Japanese-manufactured watch that has withstood the test of time.
The post Ultimate Seiko Watch Buying Guide appeared first on Real Men Real Style.
By: Antonio Centeno
Title: Ultimate Seiko Watch Buying Guide
Sourced From: www.realmenrealstyle.com/seiko-watch-buying-guide/
Published Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:24:39 +0000
3 Main Rules To Match Colors In Men’s Clothing
Most men have no clue when it comes to mixing and matching colors.
If you err on the side of caution and avoid bringing any color into your wardrobe, you’ll look dull. Or, if you get it wrong and add too much color – or the wrong colors – you’ll look like a clown.
This article will help you understand how to match colors in men’s clothing.
You will learn how to:
- Focus On Neutral Colors
- Use Small Pops Of Brighter Colors
- Don’t Overthink Your Skin Tone
What Does Understanding (And Using) Color Do?
- Avoids blatant mistakes
- Guides people’s eyes
- It makes people subconsciously “feel” things (red enlivens, brown = trust, dark navy or gray = power)
- It makes shopping MUCH more straightforward when you know what works best for you
But how does that translate into an actual outfit?
It’s not enough to know that red and green are complementary colors that go well together.
Even though the colors are good in combination, the wrong shades or the wrong amounts of each color will make you look like a Christmas decoration.
Menswear has to find a good balance between the dominant colors of the suits and shirts and the accent colors of things like neckties, pocket squares, and jewelry.
Combining colors tastefully is one of the hallmarks of the genuinely well-dressed man.
Although people have written dissertations on color-coordinating your wardrobe, the basics are pretty simple. All you have to remember are these 3 quick rules for combining colors in men’s clothing (courtesy of my friend Barron).
Trust me; it’s a lot easier than you might think.
For this article, I collaborated with Barron Cuadro from Effortless Gent, a men’s style blog that guides you towards building a lean wardrobe.
Do you ever look in your closet and think, “I have all this clothing, yet there’s nothing I want to wear”? If so, you’re in luck! Barron has helped many men like you take advantage of a flexible and interchangeable set of clothes for daily use. He makes it an effortless task regardless of your age, body type, or budget.
Whether you’re starting your wardrobe from scratch or just bringing in a few classic pieces to fill in the gaps, I highly recommend browsing Effortless Gent. You might also want to visit the EG online store for some stylish items that will upgrade your wardrobe even further.
Now for Barron’s 3 essential rules for how to match colors in men’s clothing.
How To Match Colors In Men’s Clothing Rule #1: Focus On Neutral Colors
Think of all the possible clothing color combinations like a pizza. You’ve got the base made up of bread and cheese and then an assortment of toppings that cater to different tastes.
Which would you say is more important: the base or the toppings? No-brainer! What kind of pizza has no crust? Similarly, a stylish outfit needs a good base of neutral colors like these:
- Navy, Light & Sky Blue
- Brown & Khaki
- Olive Green
These are the colors that go with most others. They set up the foundation for your outfits, making your job of finding matching clothes in your closet much more effortless.
That’s why they should constitute the majority of your wardrobe in terms of color percentages. With the right proportion of neutrals and non-neutrals, you can focus on the following rule (and have fun with it).
How To Match Colors Rule #2: Use Small Pops Of Brighter Colors
This rule is where you do get to do a bit of experimentation. Just remember what happens to a pizza if you overload it with multiple veggies or meat types that don’t go well together. The same principle applies when it comes to color in your wardrobe.
The key, as always, is moderation. Stick with only small touches of 1-2 brighter colors to prevent them from clashing with or overpowering the rest of your outfit.
A yellow or pink pocket square, for example, will pair well with a charcoal sports jacket and all other neutrals you have on (white or light blue dress shirt, dark blue jeans, black belt, etc.). It will easily pop out with that combination. The same goes for a red necktie or gold buttons on a neutral-colored jacket.
Shoes are slightly trickier. While black is the only option in some cases, e.g., formal dress, shades of brown complement most of the neutrals above far better. So what’s your best bet here? In a nutshell, brown is the answer. For a more thorough explanation, check out this article on matching dress shoes with neutral-colored suits.
But what if you’re planning instead to wear a bright suit color for a friend’s wedding or another special event? A bit of trial-and-error is in order. Do a bit of research on your best options. Ask the groom’s opinion. Or the bride’s. And remember – there’s always Pinterest and Instagram to help you out!
How To Match Colors Rule #3 Don’t Overthink Your Skin Tone
When dressing up, men often wonder: “Does this color look good with my skin tone?” Ever asked yourself this? Don’t worry about this too much. It’s more a secondary issue and not a huge limiting factor in what colors you can wear.
Shouldn’t skin color matter here? Well, yes, to a certain extent. But it should only play a part in about 10% of your decision-making regarding your color choices for clothing, and only after you’ve considered the two rules mentioned above.
It does help to know the type and amount of contrast between your skin tone and hair color. But that info should only require minor adjustments to your style. Don’t let your skin completely overhaul whatever you’ve taken time to put together. Stick to the neutrals and pops of color mentioned above, and chances are you’ll look good regardless of your complexion.
Matching colors is essentially a personal skill. There are no official rights or wrongs. The rules listed in this post – and all other rules about color – are not strict. As much as it helps to follow them (especially if you’re beginning to upgrade your style), there are times when you have to follow your gut simply.
With some practice, you’ll eventually be able to tell whether your outfit works with a single glance in the mirror.
When it comes to understanding how to match colors in men’s clothing, remember this: If you like what you see and the outfit suits the occasion, go ahead with it! Forget about how much it defies conventions. Be confident – and it’ll show. And confidence always looks good.
The post 3 Main Rules To Match Colors In Men’s Clothing appeared first on Real Men Real Style.
By: Antonio Centeno
Title: 3 Main Rules To Match Colors In Men’s Clothing
Sourced From: www.realmenrealstyle.com/match-colors-style-rules/
Published Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 11:51:28 +0000
Did you miss our previous article…
Fashion3 years ago
Steampunk Clothing & Jewelry
Sports3 years ago
Best Christmas Gift For Your Golfer Co-Worker
Fashion3 years ago
Best Timepieces To Buy For The Holiday Season
Motor3 years ago
2022 Infiniti QX55 Carigami Can Be Yours
Trending Stories3 years ago
Dior Homme Cologne Men’s Fragrance Review
Uncategorized3 years ago
How To Attract Women Easily (Without Talking)
Grooming3 years ago
Trimmed Penis – 5 Common Pubic Hairstyles For Men
Mens Health4 years ago
8 Things I Do Before 8 Am: My Morning Routine